Sunday, July 25, 2010
Paddling, summer living...and thinking
Okay, I'm working a bit too, and I have this nagging feeling that while I enjoy all this, our Prime Minister and Conservative government are quietly dismantling the social democracy and caring country that I live in.
- Cutting environmental regulations.
- Scrapping the long census form.
- Building more prisons to get tough on crime (as it reaches the lowest rates in 30 years).
- Ignoring (indeed blocking) global action on climate change.
- Ramping up the tar sand development and allowing deep well exploration on the Beaufort Sea.
- Ignoring the court order to do something about child soldier Omar Khadr (languishing for 6 years in Guantanamo Bay illegal prison)
- Refusing to sign the International Convention on the Rights of Indigenous People
- Holding back funds for international maternal health (if abortion is included in the work)
- Getting cozier with Israel while ignoring the human rights of the Palestinians
Oh Jeez, this is making me want to do two things very clearly:
1. Grab my novel (Nikolski), my towel and a beer and wander down the yard to the beach.
2. Inspire all Canadians to vote for anyone but a Conservative in the next election.
Enjoy summer! (Unless you're in Australia or South Africa, then enjoy winter...)
More than generous of you.
If it's not you, you can still keep the big hugs! =)
Susan, you'll tip the balance here in Canada - I'm sure of it!
You too Lisa!
As an American citizen, I feel your pain regarding your list of political grievances...