Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Mr. Obama goes to Ottawa
It's an odd time. Canadians support Obama to the tune of about 85% approval rating and our own Prime Minister to about 35% these days. Many of us are hoping he'll befriend little Stevie Harper and twist his arm to:
- bring Omar Khadar home to Canada from Guantanamo and treat him within a fair justice system
- clean up the tar sands oil operations in Alberta, which create more than 25% of Canada's carbon emissions
- shift the economy to the colour green by investing in new energy
- become a broker for international peace and diplomacy again, as Canada was once renowned for (not that long ago)
Of course, we could offer some advice on universal health care, on land conservation and we could open up trade in creative ways:
- Cultural Trade: you (U.S.) can have Celine Dion permanently and we'll take Michael Moore
- Weapons Trade: you give us a 3 tanks to double our number... and we'll give you your pick of 3 NHL hockey goons
- Environmental Trade: you give us one Hawaiian Island for solar power and we'll give you enough snow for everyone to have a white Christmas at least once
- Comedy Trade: you already stole Jim Carey, John Candy, Dan Akroyd, Mike Meyers, Tom Green, Michael Fox, Martin Short, Andrea Martin, and The Kids in the Hall. Give us a Hawaiian Island for them too and we'll call it square.
Is Gary rambling? I think so.
Welcome President Obama! We're pulling for you.
How about we add this to the ramble:
We'll send back Celine Dion and sign over Oahu, and y'all shine the light on legalized same-sex marriage while Obama is there, k?
but but but...
we'll take some of your snow. especially in the mountains, where most of our drinking water comes from. it's been awfully dry in california again.
maybe you'd like north dakota instead?
Couldn't help but note all your references to Hawaii! ;)
Okay Carol - he's more or less Canadian anyhow and she lives in Vegas. I'll settle.
Serephine - North Dakota? We already have Manitoba. And I'm with you on the native Hawaiians being first in line. That was interesting to me when there.
Beth - it's on my mind, particularly Kauai.
The weather is also appalling.
Hope you're well Gary
Your ideas for mutual cooperation sound terrific.. including a bit more snow for Sera's Sierras :-)
and i'd be happy to just give Celine away.... unless the US would like to trade for, maybe, Ani Difranco.
Links to this post: