.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

So it goes...


The circuits around the sun continue...and I continue to be here to see it. That's good and I really am appreciative. I'm not religious, although I have met a few of them, and joined two religions and a cult in my time. I haven't met a religion yet that inspires more awe or sense of place than simply seeing and feeling what I am a part of. I'm a wee bunch of dust, formed originally from stars and recycled in unimaginable ways, and now animated by life (thanks mom). 

That dust is human, which means I not only can experience living, I can know that I'm experiencing it. Star dust looking at star dust, through these eyes in my head. And knowing it. Yikes! Sometimes it's enough.

Cannabis is legal in Canada now, but that's not related to the paragraphs above. I was handed a pre-rolled joint the other day, unsolicited. I put it in my pocket and then realized, "Hey! This is legal."  Funny feeling. Although I later gave it away myself.

Quick updates for those who might be interested:

- Daughter Zoey is still in New York and is working on a doctorate in Philosophy. I visit a couple of times a year and enjoy my wonderful child...and my favourite city. No need to do a lot in Brooklyn, where she lives. I just walk, eat, watch, talk to people and poke around - and it's fascinating.

- Son Ryan moved to Vancouver after 5 years in Montreal. We did a 10-day road trip across Canada together. Tiring, interesting, fun and a gift to have an adult child captive for so much conversation. It seemed mutual, which is nice.

- Anna didn't run for city council again, after four years of hard work at it. Nineteen others ran for the six seats so we weren't left adrift. Now she's looking a launching new work or career, as yet undetermined.

- I'm still earning dough as a consultant. Have Flip Chart - Will Travel.  I'm slowing down by blocking weeks and even months off, and working hard when I work. Six weeks planned in Mexico this winter.






Ryan in Edmonton on the road trip

Daughter and dad in Prospect Park, Brooklyn


Okay, that's enough for those of you interested and far to much for those not.




 


Comments:
Hi Gary
Thanks for the update and pictures. Interesting to hear about Zoey's studies into philosophy and nice to see you're able to undertake that trek with Ryan.

As you might have gathered this year I designed a short course on the existentialist's for the Uni of the 3rd age and led some great discussions. Next year I am contemplating designing a new course entitled ‘Finding Meaning in an Increasingly Secular Age.’
Taking as a reference point Professors Hubert Dreyfus and Sean Dorrance Kelly’s Book “All Things Shining” the course would aim to facilitate class discussions. The underlying theme for discussion is how one might sustain existential meaning individually and for society as a whole in what is an increasingly secularised world.
Let me know any thoughts you may have. Not religious but it might include a broad thematic from religions.
Best wishes

 
Gary you are one of the greatest people i have ever met , thank you for all your wisdom
 
In memory of the late Gary Ockenden from BC in Canada who died suddenly in mid November 2019.
Here are a few of Gary’s comments on life:
On growing up - My beagle Tippy followed me to a school choir performance of part of the Messiah when I was an 11 year old soprano myself. He stood in the window outside and he too howled with the Hallelujah chorus - all were entertained except the music teacher and my parents.
On Ourselves - And here we are... all clearly descended from the same mother and father (now proven by science). A big family of sometimes confused siblings. Humility indeed!
On Africa - With the right circumstances, much of Africa will thrive in this global free market economy. Meanwhile, a small amount of effort goes a long way. You might find this organizations interesting. I've met him a couple of times and he's generated terrific support in Canada http://www.stephenlewisfoundation.org
On the Mystics - I think it's interesting that science is tending to align with and support some of the roots of mysticism, as we learn more and more. One example is the recognition through physics that all matter is energy - and that the universe is made of energy masquerading as rocks and cows and trees and stars and me.
Another is the fascinating research into brains. Yogis in deep meditation not only lower their pulse and blood pressure as they drift into a mystical state - their brain scan shows that they are activating areas in the brain, that when stimulated, lead people to feelings of wellness and oneness.
Your early childhood dream state may be a more deeply human experience than that of the intellect and separation from the dream that we think of as 'growing up'.
On His Dad
My father was a Spitfire pilot in WWII - who then had a life's career in the Air Force. He also carried a lot with him, washed some if it down with alcohol and married an incredibly supportive (if at time very pissed off) woman.
He died at 76 which is a fairly full age, yet his parents and uncles/aunts all made it into their 90s.
Dad died at an Air Force convention, in his bed, with a nice bottle of Scotch on the bedside table...
PS -Gary was fond of saying he favoured a glass of whisky – half malt thank you.
His favourite Christmas Carol (I think)
A sense of the sacred and a sense of place... the Huron Carol was written in Canada in 1643 (in the Huron Indian language and later in English). It's sung often in churches at Christmas.
Such a fine man, his sudden unexpected death brings profound sadness but his spirt lives on in so many fond memories.

 
This is a great post I saw thanks to sharing. I really want to hope that you will continue to share great posts in the future. Satta Matka
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?