.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, February 02, 2006

My son's latest poem...


My 18 year old son gave me permission to post his latest poem - a bit of a rant...best read out loud.

Issue of Concern
by Ryan

I’m concerned with the way things are
How far will we go until we’ve gone too far?
All over the world children starve
But where I live I don’t even need to leave my car
To get a couple of Big Macs and some fries
So I just shut my eyes and dream myself away

Yeah I’m concerned with what I see
Single parents go off to work minimum wage jobs
And leave their kids at home to be raised by a
A crystal screen
And a plastic mouse leading to a world of
Delusional star struck dreams
Teenage girls scream
Because beauty’s been redefined as
Air brushed magazine models who don’t eat…

And it’s all eaten up
Fill the plate
Fill the cup…
One thought comes to mind
What the fuck!?!?

I’m concerned that human beings
Are being played for fools
By a few men who made the rules
And a few more men who have enforced them for years
So never dry your tears
Just let them flow
Let’s release what needs to be let go
Like apathy
And take back our responsibility for our destiny
(The ultimate creativity)
Never say someone else made you do it
And made you pursue the life you live
Give yourself up to yourself
Be your thoughts and voice
Allow yourself a choice
Rather than being molded by
Invisible hands

I’m concerned that my children
Will live on barren lands
Where trees are plastic
And the air they breathe is synthetic
It’s pathetic
My peers are apathetic
And they don’t even realize
OPEN YOUR GOD DAMN EYES
We could be living a divine harmony
With everything
But we can’t transcend our ego’s greed
I want to be freed
And I want everything to be there with me…

But I’m concerned that this may never happen


Comments:
"OPEN YOUR GOD DAMN EYES" - That's good stuff.
 
Good poem.
"Let’s release what needs to be let go Like apathy And take back our responsibility for our destiny
(The ultimate creativity) Never say someone else made you do it
And made you pursue the life you live Give yourself up to yourself
Be your thoughts and voice Allow yourself a choice Rather than being molded by Invisible hands"
loved those lines.
 
Gary: You should be so very proud... what an observant and articulate 18 yr old.
 
Your son's poem is fantastic. He has a lot of depth for his 18 years! I could just feel the paradox of hopeful angst that so hauntingly beautiful about young adulthood. There's no preaching - just a knowing that things could be different and wonderment at why no one seems to be making an effort to create a different world.

As Keillor says - poets, the angels and shepherds of the sleeping world.

I hope he keeps writing.
 
Hi Gary

I share your sons concerned for they way things and for that barren landscape.
As I commented previously, I remain an optimist; based upon my belief this new generation will more savvy. Your son’s poetry testifies to that.
 
Ooh I loved the rythm in this poem. I can easily imagine this as a song - a powerful song with meaningful lyrics...
Thank you so much for sharing!
 
He's a writer with a real voice, so young! So, is he "takin' it to the streets"?
 
I'll direct Ryan to your comments - he likes feedback. And Nerdine, if there was a prize - you win! He was up late last night turning this into a song...
 
Great words from a young mind. Not the typical teenagery poetry.
 
Not sure if the Withinsight house is vegan or not.
But.
Here in the South (just about 150 miles from the best barbecue on the planet, which is in and around Memhpis Tennesse) Crap food versus Real food is a serious debate.
I can't necessarily fix the rest of the problems in the poem, but the antidote for eating crap food, even McDougal's (is that the name of the restaurant?) Hamburgers, is REAL FOOD.
I've learned that most people don't know that there IS better food out there. Or that Good Company in the Kitchen, while candles are burned and wine is drunk, and a custom feast is prepared (you don't like garlic? I'll throw in more black pepper instead) is a perfect antidote to bland.
And it's also good for the soul, and helps you live a little more like a human. Heavens forfend we should raise our kids like this, and turn off the TV for a little while to celebrate and enjoy something that we all have to do everyday: eat.
Who knows, they might even grow up being happier people, as opposed to obese, diabetic, misanthropic, caffeinated twitch junkies with ADD.
Or something.
 
Hi Auntie Willow - thanks for stopping by.

Guess it's poetic license because the poet is indeed vegetarian and hasn't played in Ronald's playhouse for many years...

You should visit Maison Madcap sometime - there's a blogger who respects good eats (and photographs them too).
 
Nerdine is right: it has a terrific rhythmn throughout.

"Be your thoughts and voice." It's a powerful message, too.

He's a great kid, Gary.
 
I hope he can maintain his idealism.
I fear for our youth.
We have squandered so many opportunities.
 
So so very wise at 18...
I must admit, I'm choked up...
Shine On Ryan...
M#
 
Gary, proud father. Wonderful poem of jr..

His profound critical thinking confirms my positive feelings about the next generation. Thank you for sharing..
 
What a great poem. I love the message. Your son is a very mature thinker for his age.
 
blogger has been down and I'm just beginning to catch up. Wonderful poem. Thanks for your comments on granny. I couldn't get in to respond until late tonightl
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?